Having your own swimming pool means that you can have a dip whenever you feel like, which is particularly useful during the summer season to cool off and forget about the excessive outdoor temperature. You can also enjoy hanging out with your friends on summer nights, not to mention all the fun you can have with your kids and family members with a water gun fight or something like that.
Surely you must have been considering about building a pool of your own, provided that you have enough space (and money) to undertake such a project. Nevertheless, you may want to think about it first: a swimming pool needs to be regularly maintained and taken care of if you expect to be able to use whenever the time comes for that.
The following points should give you a rough idea about what to expect from swimming pool maintenance. You will see that it is a little more work than just changing pool filters Australia at the correct time intervals:
- Water Testing – To ensure good water quality throughout the year, you will definitely need to buy a water testing kit of your own. They are available at most swimming pool supplies stores, and they range from the inexpensive test kits which only provide basic analysing abilities to more specialized testing kits that are better for enthusiasts. Be sure to read the instructions before using a testing kit, as it provide you with the correct method to test your pool water.
- Regular Clean Ups – Pool maintenance involves a lot of cleaning up, from changing the water in your pool to scrubbing the pool’s inner surface (and especially the bottom) to remove algae growths. You will also need to take care of your pool’s water filter systems. The amount of cleaning you can do depends on how much time you can dedicate to such activities, but it is recommended to carry out these activities at least once in every two weeks.
- Chlorination – Chlorine keeps your pool safe by killing harmful bacteria and germs that may form in your swimming pool’s water. There are different ways to add chlorine to your pool water: you can use it in powdered form, liquid form or use chlorine tabs with in-built stabilizers which can help with avoiding chlorine loss due to evaporation.
- Heater Servicing – Pool heaters are necessary for those who plan on using their swimming pools during cooler periods of the year. Heaters are generally reliable, but they can always malfunction at unexpected times, and you will need the help of a professional for servicing them.
- Checking for Leaks – It is difficult to check pools for leaks, as water can then escape by both evaporation and due to the leak itself. But if you do find a leak, you need to take steps as soon as possible: there is no telling whether the leak can become larger after some time passes.